Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sub Sandwich Pizza

It took a long time for us to have the same nights off and share a dinner together, but I wanted this to be fresh and not a leftover. Why? Because I have never made this before, but I remembered it from a little cafe that was in downtown Vancouver Washington. Theo's closed many years ago, too many for me to remember, but this pizza I never forget. I only enjoyed this delicious pizza a few times, but it was so different and delicious, that when they closed, I knew I needed to try making this myself.


Delicious but Not really Theo's Submarine Sandwich Pizza
425 degrees

1 pound of pizza crust dough (I am using the parsley and garlic dough found here, but Theo's used a plain dough)

1/2 c favorite pizza sauce
2-10 slices honey style ham
12-14 slices dry salami
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 large green pepper
1 large tomato
thinly sliced Peperoncini

On a cornmeal sprinkled surface press and pat dough out to about a 12 inch pizza size. I wanted to be able to slide the raw pizza onto the pizza stone heating up in the oven.









Cover with the sauce and get ready to layer on the flavor.

Sprinkle with most of the cheese, layer on the ham and then the dry salami.









Add the green pepper and the rest of the cheese. Now carefully....


....and gently make sure the pizza crust has not begun to stick. Slide a large flat turner around the edge of the dough. 

Take the cutting board to the oven, and slide the assembled pizza onto the hot stone baker. I did have to assist in the movement, but after a gentle nudge, the whole pie slide gently off the board and onto the stone.
Bake 20 minutes or until golden.

Remove from the oven, and let cool a minute (or 5 this stuff is hot!), slide back onto the cutting board. Add thinly sliced tomatoes and Pepperoni garnish. Cut and serve! Yum is all I can say.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks for stopping,
it makes my day to have friends stop by!

This post is shared with:
fresh clean and pure friday @ la bella vita

Friday Potluck @ EKats Kitchen

Fat Camp Fridays @ Mangoes and Chutney

12 days of Bloggie-mas @ a moderate life

6 comments:

Lisa said...

This sounds like a pizza that will please pizza lovers and sub lovers alike. The flavor of it must be awesome.

Cheerful said...

wow, looks and sounds yummy...lots of salami, i love it! happy weekend! :)

Erin @ EKat's Kitchen said...

MMMM - I adore homemade pizzas (subs, too), and the level of creativity it allows! your ingredients look like a great flavor combo!!! Thank you for sharing with Friday Potluck this week!

Carla and Michael said...

Oh wow. Truly a step off the beaten path. I am so going to make this one the next pizza we have.
Thanks.

Mangoes and Chutney said...

Wow, this looks truly great! You should link up at Fat Camp Fridays as well!
http://www.mangoesandchutney.com/2010/11/fat-camp-friday-3-chocked-full-o-candy.html

21st Century Housewife© said...

This sounds wonderful - a great combination of flavours! I was given a pizza stone just like yours for Christmas so this will be a great recipe to 'break it in' :)